Friday, June 4, 2010

A Brave New World

Well, today marks the beginning of a new way of life for the pigeon. I've lost my best friend and I've lost my job all within a period of 4 days. It's either start over or keep making the same choices and mistakes. I've decided to start over. I've got some money in savings and a couple of months of severance pay coming my way so I have choices. I think for now I'm going to explore my options for making money on my own without an 8-5 position. I'm going to give myself until next June 1st to decide whether or not this is a good idea. I've got a couple of ideas up my sleeve that involve the cello and my knitting, both of which are passions of mine.

To start off my new way of life I'll tell y'all a story about the concert I'm currently in rehearsals for. It should be a really great performance, by the way. We've now rehearsed for three days straight and I've managed to only fall down the steps leading to the Church one time. I've got a lovely scrape up my left leg. Anyway the conducter is in his 80s and keeps telling us awesome stories about being a musician in the 1960s and the random concerts he's conducted. One involved a guy coming on stage in a complete non-pc Indian Chief costume and doing a fake war dance for 10 minutes in the middle of a piece of music. Ah the 60s must have been a grand time to be a classical musician. The problem, though is that he is now severely hunch-backed and insists on conducting while sitting in a short chair. The problem you might ask? No one can see his baton unless they're on the front row. Me? I'm on the back row because I got this gig at the last minute and was sight reading for the first rehearsal. The poor guy keeps getting upset that we aren't stopping when he stops and then he starts mumbling which makes it all the more awesome. I can still see the spark that made him a great conductor at one time, but in between are great moments of confusion. I'll let y'all know how this all goes come Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck starting over - sometimes the best decisions come out of difficult times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I'm really sorry about the run of luck you've had. But, it sounds like you're keeping a good attitude about everything. Best of luck to you, and I *know* you're going to do well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like fun!! :0 I hope your scrape is all better (and the other hurts hurt less...)

    ReplyDelete